Sheffield Wednesday told to improve £700,000 offer for Michail AntonioBy Jonny Fordham
July 25, 2012
Nick Hammond has told Sheffield Wednesday to stump up the cash if they want to land Michail Antonio.
Reading’s director of football spoke to Owls chairman Milan Mandaric last night and revealed: “The ball is in their court.
“We are in no rush to sell Michail and there are plenty of clubs who are interested in him. We’re having a good look at him over these 10 days in Portugal and at the moment he is very much part of our squad.”
The winger played the second half of last night’s 2-0 defeat by Wednesday in Estadio Municipal de Albufeira.
Before the game Hammond joined Royals owner Anton Zingarevich, chief executive Nigel Howe and manager Brian McDermott in meeting up with Mandaric and Owls boss Dave Jones.
Madejski Stadium chiefs have already rejected £700,000 for the 22-year-old former non-league star.
Antonio has just one year left on his contract and a number of Wednesday fans took matters into their own hands in Portugal last night by chanting at Mandaric ‘Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up.’
Last week McDermott confirmed that Antonio had expressed an interest in leaving the club in search of first-team football, now that there is competition from Garath McCleary as well as Jimmy Kebe for the right-wing role.
One player who certainly won’t play any part for Reading in the first half of the season is talented centre-back Michael Hector.
The 6ft 4ins defender has signed a six-month loan deal with League One side Shrewsbury Town.