Fire warning over microwaves
February 04, 2013
Fire chiefs have warned people to only use microwaves for what they are intended for after media reports suggesting they can be used for things other than cooking.
The Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued the warning following reports in the national media about how the ovens can be used for a range of things including dyeing clothes, reviving dried out mascara, warming towels and even washing socks,
However, the services says this could be a serious fire risk.
hris Bunyan, Group Manager for Prevention at RBFRS, said: “Microwaves can create intense heat in whatever is inside their ovens, and power levels and settings can vary considerably in different models.
"Heating items such as clothing or towels in microwaves is particularly dangerous as, even if it is wet, fabric will heat up very quickly and then dry out, which could cause it to ignite.
“Our advice is to heat only food or other products specifically designed to be used in microwaves.
"Even then, you should always refer to the product and microwave manufacturer’s instructions, especially regarding the power level of your particular model and the recommended heating time.”