Abandoned handbag melts on cookerBy Jon Nurse
October 19, 2012
A handbag caught on fire after a family left their house with it sitting on a heated hob today.
A neighbour phoned for help at around 12.30pm after she heard the alarm of a home in Ennerdale, Bracknell, and saw the house was filled with smoke with small flames visible in the kitchen.
Crews from Bracknell and Wokingham fire stations were sent to the kitchen fire and forced entry through the front door.
The firefighters found a flaming handbag resting on an electric hob, which they immediately doused and opened all the windows.
Firefighter Chris Marten said: " The smoke alarm did its job and we arrived just in time. The house was smoke logged with no one in.
"The occupier had left the electric hob on with the handbag on it. It had melted the handbag and its contents all over the cooker.
"People should make sure appliances are not left on and shut all their doors when they go out."
The crews attended the scene for around 40 minutes.