Chlorine gas fills house in chemical reactionBy Jon Nurse
October 05, 2012
People fled a house in Sandhurst after chlorine gas started spilling out of their dishwasher last night.
The toxic gas started filling the house in High Street after the machine was switched on with a mix of chemical cleaning products inside intended to clean the appliance.
Everyone immediately left the building at the smell of the gas.
Crews from Crowthorne and Yately fire stations together with specialist units from Dee Road and Whitley Wood were sent just after 9.30pm last night.
A Royal Berkshire Fire and Rescue spokeswoman said: "No ambulance was required as no one suffered any ill effects - they got themselves outside quickly which was the right thing to do.
"The crews used a big appliance, which works like a large ventilator fan, to clear the fumes as two firefighters with breathing apparatus entered the house to assess the contamination and neutralise the chemicals.
"The crews were also trying to find out which chemicals had been mixed together. The fire service advises people to only use household cleaning products in accordance with instructions."
Firefighters attended the house for two hours.