Chimney warning after fire in AscotBy Jonathan Low
October 03, 2012
Firefighters have urged homeowners to have their chimneys cleaned out annually to avoid the risk of a fire.
A crew from Bracknell fire station were called to a home in High Street, Ascot at 7pm last night.
The chimney was full of clods of soot which caught fire and had to be extinguished by firefighters.
Crew manager Richard Sage said: "We spent about half an hour cleaning the chimney out and ensuring it was secure."
He added: "As the weather gets colder, we recommend people who have open fires in their homes should have them cleaned and swept annually."