Adam Federici signs new deal with Reading FCBy Lewis Rudd
August 03, 2012
Adam Federici has spoken of his delight after signing a new three-year contract with Reading.
The 27-year-old goalkeeper has put pen to paper on a deal which will keep him at Madejski Stadium until 2015.
And the Australian international, who was entering the final year of his previous contract, said: “I’m delighted to have got it done because it can sometimes be hard playing for a club, knowing you have only got 12 months left on a contract.
“The club is really going places and I am looking forward to the start of the season.”
Federici was awarded the Championship golden glove award after keeping 20 clean sheets last season as Royals secured a return to the Premier League following a four-year absence.
He said: “It took a bit of time to complete the deal and there has been a lot of hard work to do, but I’m so happy to be staying at Reading for another three years.
“I have been here a long time and played with a lot of different teams and have been a part of the transitional period.
“I have been through the good times and the bad times, but the club is really on the up at the moment.
“It is a great club with a fantastic coach in Brian McDermott and some great supporters.
“I have had opportunities to move on, but what with everything which has happened at the club last season and the season before, it didn't seem right to leave at this time. I want to be here as we compete with the best clubs in the Premier League.”
Reading’s Premier League preparations, however, have been dealt a blow after boss Brian McDermott revealed that Jimmy Kebe’s hamstring injury is likely to rule him out of the season opener at home to Stoke City on August 18.
McDermott told getreading yesterday that he does not believe the 28-year-old winger will recover in time from the hamstring tear he suffered during Royals’ pre-season trip to Portugal.
Kebe limped off in the opening tour game against CDR Quarteirense on July 21.
He did not feature again in Portugal and an MRI scan earlier this week confirmed the extent of the damage to his hamstring.
Kebe revealed on Twitter: “MRI done two days ago. Hamstring injury (muscle tear). I hope to be back on the pitch for the first game. Fingers crossed.”
McDermott, however, is less convinced Kebe, who has been blighted with injuries during his time at Madejski Stadium, will be available for selection when Tony Pulis brings Stoke to Berkshire in little more than two weeks time.
Royals’ boss said: “(Jimmy) is not going to be fit for a while and I don’t think he will start the season. It is a shame for us and it is a shame for Jimmy. But it is an injury and we will deal with that. There is nothing we can do about it.”