Plea for calm after dog 'poisoning'By Hugh Fort
May 10, 2012
Police are warning people not to get caught up in the “social media rumour mill” following the death of two dogs after eating what is thought to be rat poison.
Chief Inspector Simon Bowden of Bracknell Police has stated there have been no further reports of any poisoning of animals since the death of two dogs after visiting Heathlake in Crowthorne earlier this month.Distraught owners of 'poisoned' dog warn others to beware
Rumours have been flying around Twitter and Facebook claiming further dogs have died after visiting a range of popular walking spots around Bracknell Forest.
Tweeters claimed dogs had also been poisoned at parks including The Look Out Discovery Centre in Nine Mile Ride, Lily Hill Park in Lily Hill Road Bullbrook and South Hill Park in Birch Hill.
Rumours circulating the borough claim peanut butter sandwiches laced with rat poison have been placed at popular walking spots, but there is no evidence of this according to police.
However, Chf Insp Bowden, Bracknell Forest Council and Wokingham Borough Council have confirmed there have been no further reports since the two canine fatalities were reported.
Chf Insp Bowden said: “Bracknell police have received no reports at all of dogs being poisoned anywhere in the borough.
“The local authority rangers have been out putting up signs in the parks telling people to be aware of what has happened at Heathlake.
“As seems to be all the more frequent, users of Twitter and Facebook have been generating a social media rumour mill, which snowballs on a day-by-day basis causing widespread panic.”
Charlotte Johnson’s Jack Russell Deej was one of the dogs that died after ingesting what is believed to be rat poison during a walk at Heathlake, which is close to the family home in Eagle Close, on Friday, April 20.
Rangers at Wokingham Borough Council, which manages the lake, are carrying out an investigation into the deaths but have confirmed there have been no further reports.
However, rangers at Wokingham and Bracknell Councils have been around the two areas dog-walking hotspots putting up signs warning owners to keep their animals on leads and to be aware if they do eat anything on the ground.
Kim Evans, practice manager of Moor Cottage Vets in London Road, Binfield, said any pet owners suspecting poison should look for symptoms including excessive shaking and pale gums should get medical help for their animal immediately.